I got an email the other day from Steve Zeitlin of City Lore about the "I Am New York City" poems that they had planned to publish on the web back in 2006. He sent me a link to the City of Memory site, I took a look and sent him my blessings. Then today I saw an item about the site on the front page of the City section of the New York Times. It's a cool idea and a great use of the web. It'll be interesting to see what people add to it.
I wrote this little piece (story 2 of the tour) for the Brian Lehrer Show after I heard him ask listeners to submit a poem about a place in the City, starting with "I am...." and the name of the place. For better or worse, I wrote it on the train to work and emailed it when I got to the office. The radio producers called me and asked me to read it on the air. Steve got in touch with me later to ask if they could include it in their web project. I had completely forgotten about the project. It's a good thing someone is keeping track of what the hell is going on.
My missive reads like something that was written in 10 minutes because it was. (I got the Q at 14th Street so the ride to 57th Street was fast), but that's okay. The sentiment is there. I still miss the Second Avenue Deli. Of course, there's more to that story than just nostalgia. Maybe I should add some details to the City of Memory site?
What's All This Then?
Greetings!
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
Sunday, June 8, 2008
Second Avenue Deli Redux
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment