What's All This Then?

Greetings!

This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).

It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....

You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."

(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)

Friday, June 6, 2008

The Other Half

More ennui. We're on a roll! A couple of interesting bits of email arrived today. I got the official photos from the race and one is more horrendous than the next. I was sort of hoping I'd have something to send around to friends and supporters, but it won't be one of those. My teammate Emily finished right behind me and her Mom took a picture of us wearing our medals. It's my best hope of a "glowing after the race" snap. Haven't heard from her yet. As for the official photos, there's one with a great view of Ramon. Another of a guy pushing a kid in a stroller walking right in front of me. There are a couple of me looking down as I cross the finish line and a fuzzy one with me waving my arms. I think they should pay me for the photo of me posed wearing my medal. I'm a strange shade of blue and my face looks possessed. I'll take 50 wallet size of that one, please.

On a sunnier note, the honored teammate monthly letter mentioned open lottery spaces for the NYC Half marathon. I got all excited by the prospect (a new goal!) and the coordinator said she'd save me a space. I expressed interest in the Westchester triathlon, too. I sent a note to the campaign manager to close the loop, just in case.

Then reality struck. What am I doing? The weather forecast this weekend is for hot and humid--90 degrees. I trained for a late summer triathlon -- Chicago was August 2005 -- and it was rough. Race day was spectacular. The three months leading up to it were beastly. And of course there's money to raise. The bigger question is whether or not it's wise to try to do another long race. Here's the line up: Brooklyn Half on May 3, San Diego Marathon on June 1, Mayor's Marathon in Anchorage on June 21 and the NYC Half on July 27? That sounds like a bit much. What do I think I am, a runner?

My old pal Mason encouraged me to do the NYC Half , which he described as a lovely race, and to do the Westchester triathlon, too. We can do it all, he says. And I quote: "We are crazy people."

There are some other pressing matters i.e. the rest of my life. These events may be too distracting. Or it might be just what the doctor ordered.

TBD.

No comments: