I'm running for my life and others who face a blood-cancer diagnosis. But these days, my preparation for a marathon seems like a smaller race. Hillary's run for the White House puts my run into perspective.
I started this entry before I left for Ohio on Friday night, before Hillary won the popular vote in Ohio by a wide margin as well as winning Rhode Island and Texas. I'm back now to catch up on the last few days of politics and training. I combined the two because I didn't want to lose momentum. I ran 3.5 miles before I left and packed my running stuff because the hotel had a gym with a treadmill--or so I thought. I got on a bus with volunteers for Clinton and Obama at Madison Square Garden at 6:30 and arrived at a hotel in Cleveland at exactly 5:00 a.m. on Saturday. Pizza and beer were served on the bus, and folks brought all kinds of other potent potables. I was in the back of the bus with William (a volunteer for Obama) who shared his cognac with me (Clinton supporter) and Jean Luca (Obama, I think). When we stopped in Hazelton (aka Nowhere, PA), it was clear we hadn't gotten very far.
I've driven across the country and covered a lot of ground by car in other countries, but I have never been to a stop that sold Bibles--and Cliff note versions-- in the paperback book rack and had showers (immaculate ones, I might add). A guy name Rich lamented that he didn't find any alcohol. I told him he forgot to look behind the Bibles.
We hit white-out conditions, stopped at times and crawled behind a salt truck for a while. It wasn't ideal, but the group was quite good natured and I heard no complaints from anyone during the weekend--except maybe about the politics of some of the other volunteers.
I slept a little bit on the bus and figured there was no point in going to bed for a few hours sleep only to feel groggy anyway. So I put on my sneakers and went to the gym, which is open 24 hours. Since there was no treadmill as advertised, I was forced to work out on the elliptical machine. After a sweaty 3.5 miles and 45 minutes spent entertained by a dog show (non-working and toy groups, no hounds), I went back to my room and jumped into the shower before my 3 roommates woke up. I would have liked to do the same on Sunday morning, but I was too zonked by the canvassing and partying till the wee hours. I jumped rope and did some weights and considered it a victory.
I canvassed in Parma and Berea, which we were told were two important districts (10th Congressional, I think). I found lots of Hillary support in a solidly middle class neighborhood where we knocked on doors in bitter cold on Saturday and in a low-middle/blue collar/working class area on Sunday, which was practically balmy by comparison. The economy and jobs were the biggest issues across the board. Lots of houses for sale and lots of concern because there was no market for those houses. Other volunteers said they saw lots of boarded up houses. It was hard to tell what was really going on, but the overall trend seemed positive. Last night's primary made it clear Hillary has strong support. As she said, no candidate who has lost the Ohio primary has won the general election. Now she's on the road to Pennsylvania.
If Hillary can go the distance, so can I.
Friday: 3.5
Miles to date: 29.50
What's All This Then?
Greetings!
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
Friday, February 29, 2008
Go Hillary Go!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment