Another three miles today, this time from Riverside Park at 72nd Street, across the transverse, up to 90th and back. Central Park looked lovely dressed in white. There's no slush and muck to avoid, just snow-covered everything. Winter white as it should be. Whenever I work out in the park, I'm seized by real estate envy. I want to move uptown to be closer to it. I remember another reason I love New York and feel tortured by it, too.
I met Alisha (sp?) and Debbie, who is one of the coaches, and we had a grand time. Even though we ran at a pace that was a little slow at times even for me, I was happy to be trotting along outdoors and chatting non-stop. They were great company, and we didn't stop to walk, which was very good. That said, I felt as if I hadn't had a strenuous enough workout. I was sweaty, but not breathless or exhausted or both.
I had wanted to challenge myself to do a longer run today--say 4 miles-- but the alternative was 4.6, and I wasn't sure that I was ready for that. I asked one of the coaches for his opinion. He said 4.6 would be more like 5 something when you added in getting to the Park and back. He said I should stick with 3. I did and now I feel stuck with 3. I'm ready to get past it. I need to get past it. That's this week's challenge.
The weather is always a big consideration. It was positively balmy this morning compared to last week. It makes a huge difference. I love the cold weather. I prefer it. Don't get me wrong. But there's cold and there's fuhgeddaboudit cold.
I picked up a baguette and some cheesy comestibles on my way home for a tasty carb/protein balance. Before I ate, I took one of my famous Saturday soaks to get the chill out of my bones. I felt great afterward. I have fond memories of bubble baths after 75-mile bike rides. I can see this habit taking hold again. Hell, why not? I deserve it and my body will be happier, too.
Tomorrow: prime + 1 and pilates.
I've created some outdoor runs using. Assuming the creeks don't rise, I'll be trying one tomorrow morning.
Today: 3
Miles to date: 18.35
P.S. Got this mileage idea from my mentor Megan's blog, so I went back and added it to my posts.
............................
Running list (as it were)
I must finish several important pieces of business this weekend.
1. Finish various fundraising emails.
I decided to break things up into past donors who I can approach comfortably, former teammates and new victims (Ramon would call them "fresh meat"), and write emails tailored to each audience. I've reached out to a couple of people individually and have raised $700 thus far, of which $350 is a match. It's a start!
The good news is I kept great records of my three previous seasons and have a detailed spreadsheet with all the data. This makes it somewhat easier to sort this stuff out. Now I just have to do it.
Target: Sunday night. No later than Monday morning.
2. Finish fundraising letter.
I'm going postal with a number of people who either don't have email or who I think would be more likely to respond to a letter. I prefer letters in general. I think it's more effective. Come to think of it, I may expand this list and use email as a reminder if I don't hear from them.
Target: Bring letters to TNT office on Monday
3. Send out greetings to the teams.
I've been screwing around with this email, but keep dropping it for other things, which is ridiculous. I'm caught in the Mark Twain conundrum: I would have written a shorter letter if I had more time. Get a hold of yourself, woman. No one wants to read one of my missives. Aim for short, sweet and encouraging. That's all it needs to be. The season is young. I've got plenty of time to bore everyone to tears.
What's All This Then?
Greetings!
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
Saturday, February 23, 2008
A Prime Number
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment