Numbers. I knew this would be a challenge. I'm not referring to chalking up the miles. That's a whole other issue. I ran either 3.70 miles or 4.25 miles in 57:15 today. The problem is I'm not sure if I did three loops or four around Washington Square Park. I'm pretty sure it was four, but I'm not absolutely certain. I'll never know. One thing is for sure: I broke the 3 mile barrier and ran* the whole time.
I lit out for the sunshine under gorgeous blue skies and crisp air. (It was 28 when I took Dooley for a walk.) I felt the difference immediately. It was easier and almost enjoyable. Almost. Note to self: Do what's easier since what you're doing is hard enough. My legs looked a lot better when I got home, too. I noticed something like knee caps, which I haven't seen in a while. More on that in another post.
As for this numbers business, you'd think I could count to four and remember. I can think of several reasons why this is tricky for me. For one thing, I'm too focused on remaining vertical and just moving forward to use my usual tricks, which is repeating the number constantly to keep it in my head. Since it takes me a long time to run a half mile (actually it's .56 according to mapmyrun) and I'm listening to music, it's easy to lose track. I'll need to come up with some mnemonic device to avoid any doubt. I'm pretty sure it was four laps.
It's a day of firsts. It was my longest run, my first solo run outside and I wearing a shiny new pair of sneakers. I had to give up my well-worn black tenny rubbers finally. I had worn them over the course of training for 3 triathlons and they didn't owe me anything. I probably should have switched to the new ones much sooner. Yesterday's soggy socks forced the issue. I had picked up a second pair on sale last year. Unfortunately, they were only available in gray, which wasn't my first choice since black is "slimming." But I had to bite the bullet because these puppies aren't cheap. They were $140 last time I priced them. I don't pay that for shoes, for chrissake.
My new sneakers felt grey-t.
Numbness has been an issue since I first trained in 2004. For some reason, the right leg has been the only that gets heavy, usually after about a mile. This time, I lost feeling in both feet. I "feel" and hear my feet slapping the pavement hard, harder than I would if I could really feel them. I don't know what to make of this. I'm wondering about any implications for hitting the pavement so hard. It's not ideal.
25.2 miles is a long way to run without feeling your feet.
I'm listing songs again because I'm working out a good mix of genres, rhythm, lyrically engaging and inspirational songs.I've been known to listen to podcasts of stories and other spoken word stuff when I use the elliptical machine. If find the continuity works well in that context. What does everyone else listen to?
Today's entertainment:
U.N.I.T.Y. (There's nothing like Queen Latifah: "Who you calling a bitch?")
Soldier's Dance
Ladies First
I Will Survive
Higher Ground
I Am Woman
Ain't Nobody
You Can Get it If You Really Want
Boogie Wonderland
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
One Love/Get Ready
You Sexy Thing
Cast Your Fate to the Wind
Stop Your Fussin'
Because You're Beautiful
Love's Glory (stretching)
This could use some hard-driving stuff. Comments?
Today: 4.25
Miles to date: 22.60
What's All This Then?
Greetings!
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
Sunday, February 24, 2008
Numbers and Numbness
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment