I thought I'd be logging my first 3-mile day today, but it was not to be. I have to admit my post-extraction "dry socket" issue combined with this head cold were two very compelling reasons not to leave the house today except to walk Dooley. I still have an earache, but it's not as painful as it was the other day. Something still isn't right. I'm not sure if this is residual garden-variety pain from the dry socket business or something else. All I know is, my left ear feels clogged, like there's pressure. I called up the old oral surgeon to try to sort it out. Depending on how I feel tomorrow, I may stop in for a quick check instead of waiting till Wednesday.
Needless to say, this isn't the way I expected to start my "Road to Marathon" chronicles. Life intervenes sometimes and there's not much you can do about it.
I don't want to fall behind on mileage. I can worry about it (little good that will do), but it's a too early in the game to be chastising myself since it doesn't matter if I run 3 miles today or tomorrow. So long as I do it, I'll be okay. My concern is building momentum. If there's one thing I've learned doing endurance events, it is this: you can't cram for it. You just have to keep up.
Tomorrow I will get in my 3 miles if it's the last thing I do. I'm going to make it the first thing.
What's All This Then?
Greetings!
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Nothing Doing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment