I shlepped out to Bay Ridge to hang with the Brooklynites and run my longest distance yet. I've gone from a Nigel on Tuesday to lucky 13 today. 13 big ones. I've basically run a half marathon.
I'm tickled and tired. Exhilaration has given way to exhaustion, so I'll keep this brief. The Brooklynites were excellent company on the road and at brunch later. I got a snap of some of the crew--and an errant lightening bolt. From left to right: Anne, Malek, Jim, Tamara, me, Amanda and our hostess Colleen.
We were running along the path by the Belt Parkway in air so dense and grey it looked like a black and white movie. The Verrazano-Narrows bridge was cloaked in fog, so much so that by the time we saw a small part of the bridge, we were practically underneath it. If you've ever seen this bridge--the longest suspension bridge in the U.S. with two massive towers--you will understand how thick the air must have been. It was bizarre.
I had a few moments of despair out there. I doubted why I ever took this on and wondered whether or not I could somehow get a ride back to Colleen's apartment. I was sure I was running slower than I ever have, and I stopped at least a half a dozen times to massage my foot. My running mate Lisa was terrific. She was cool about stopping, but I don't like to interrupt my shuffling. I just couldn't figure out a way around it. I was preoccupied with bathrooms for a significant period of time when we had at least 5 miles yet to run, but managed to get by. I had to convince myself a few times to just keep going. I reasoned that if I just kept going, eventually I would get there. Stopping wasn't an option, but I really lost steam at the end. I can see that the mental challenge is greater than the physical at times.
Want to see where I ran? Click on the title of this post (Halfway There) and follow the blue line to Neptune Avenue (halfway between the 6 and 7 mile marker). That's where we turned around.
All told, an honest day's running. I'm pleased to have lived through it. Tomorrow I'm doing my first timed run--a 4 miler in Central Park for the cause of the week. Lung cancer. It's an optional run, but a lot of teammates will be there and I'm told it's a TNT alumni run. Even though I had to fork it over to the road runners to participate, I think it's worth it. I want to practice running in a crowd and grabbing water before I tackle the official Brooklyn half marathon next month. I hope I can knock 4 miles off without too much trouble. I hope I feel as good tomorrow morning as I do right now.
Today: 13 miles
Miles to date: 134.6
What's All This Then?
Greetings!
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
Saturday, April 12, 2008
Halfway There
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment