This is the beginning of the eleventh week of training. Seems incredible to me that we're in the last third of the training. If I follow the schedule this week, I will run between 26 and 30 miles, including a long run on Saturday between 13 and 15 miles. I'm aiming for at least 14. I'll do at least 4 runs and 3 cross trainings, including one today.
I'm trying not to count down to when we'll have to taper. It scares the bejesus out of me. I want to know that I still have time to build --as indeed I do. My strength and core training may have fallen short, but I've stayed on my feet and put in the time. There's no going back. I'm doing what I can now. I have to keep my mind fixed on short-term goals so that I can face whatever happens on race day. I'm braced for the possibility of six hours on the road on June 1. I'm hoping for a better performance.
The Atlanta branch has been burning it up. Alison ran 14 miles on Saturday and sounded like a million bucks. She's fantastic and continues to be a big inspiration for me. I know that it gave me a lot of confidence when I ran 13 in Brooklyn a couple of weeks ago. I'm looking forward to a strong long run this weekend for another boost. Of course there are all of the steps between now and then. A journey of 26.2....
What's All This Then?
Greetings!
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
Monday, April 21, 2008
Week 11
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment