What's All This Then?

Greetings!

This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).

It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....

You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."

(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Back on the Road

I got back on the road today and felt good. It was too beautiful a day NOT to run across the Williamsburg bridge, so that's what I did. Cool air and blue skies. Who could ask for anything more? I'd like to put in an order for a new pair of legs. Other than that, I was content to spend an hour looking across the water and imagining scenarios of one sort or another.

I ran without music and it was glorious. I'm practicing feeding myself messages of encouragement and visualizing the best possible outcomes. My mind tends to jump around, often in an argumentative way as if there's someone taking up the other side and "we" volley back and forth. In some ways, I wish I had been listening to The Writer's Block. I love hearing stories read outloud. I often start telling myself snippets of stories and think I'll get back to it when I get home, but can't quite put it back together.

A roundtrip across the bridge span is 2.8 miles, and at least half of that is a steady incline. I moved at an even pace and judged myself harshly for moving too slowly. I was putting in a reasonable amount of effort. Lots of heavy breathing, like a obscene phone caller. I reckon I could have pushed harder, but I felt the usual twinges and pangs and just don't want to do any damage at this point. I'm trying to figure out the difference between effort and pace.

My friend Bugs told me I'm recuperating from the weekend's excesses, not actually losing ground. I certainly hope not. That would be too depressing for words.

Today: 4.8
Miles to date: 143.4

No comments: