I've turned to the Penguin. I've taken to reading John Bingham's column "No Need for Speed" in Runner's World for solace and sustenance as I plow through the physical and mental minefield of long distance running. Mostly it's a reality check. When doubt creeps in and threatens to overtake the foundation I've been building, I get a lift from the Penguin.
I'm comfortable with the loneliness. I know how to keep myself company out on the road. I've come up with catch phrases and certain provocative ideas that I come back to between broader discussions and arguments I have with myself about everything but running. My head is buzzing, but my arms and legs are on autopilot. When I have to focus on conquering a hill, I put my mind to it directly. I'm practicing focus outside my body so that I can extend the amount of time I run before I stop because of my foot. I don't think mind can overcome that matter completely. I've asked someone to help me with cushioning the area so that it's not a persistent source of pain.
The time on the road is one issue. The time off the road is quite another. What has been happening with alarming frequency recently is that when I finish a run and the rejoicing has ended, I tear into myself over not running well. Doubt over my pace and effort overshadows the accomplishment. Just doing it isn't enough. I have to do it better. There's a tension between pushing myself to run better and accepting that I am trying hard and this is the best I can do right now. Why isn't it good enough?
In many ways, this is an absurdly short time to train if you're starting from zero, but apparently people do it. Lots of people, not just TNTers. I'm guessing that the wisest people don't. A 5K, 10K, half marathon or two before you go for a full marathon makes a lot more sense. But it's too late for that. There's no point in beating myself up about my choice to do it this way. I'm doing it. The question is what can I do between now and when we start tapering to give myself the best shot at a gratifying experience on race day?
I'm getting nervous that the tapering phase is nearly upon us. I feel as if I'm just getting started. I have just begun to "waddle on."
What's All This Then?
Greetings!
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
My Guru, The Penguin
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment