So I get home after an evening that started at a bar on Second Avenue with teammates, then to Bugs's apartment to make and eat pizza and plan The Great Gotham Scavenger hunt*, and what's on my Google homepage under daily stuff from howstuffworks.com? You guessed it: how a marathon works.
It never would have occurred to me that howstuffworks would choose to analyze this sport as if it were global warming or some other phenomenon they like to deconstruct. I've only read the first page, but I'm hooked. It begins at the beginning, asking the big question by invoking the expert--Springsteen. Are we bipedal types born to run? Marathoners seem to think so.
As a group, marathoners are disciplined, resilient people. As individuals, marathoners have many perspectives about the sport. For some, the marathon is a competitive race. For others, it's a test of mental endurance -- or even a social event where they can meet like-minded fitness enthusiasts. And for the improperly trained, it's 26.2 miles of muscle-aching torture.I could have lived without that last bit. This struck a chord:
Many marathoners approach the event with modest hopes: They dream of simply finishing the race. What is it about a marathon that inspires unlikely runners to shape up and lace up their sneakers? Is running a marathon really something anyone can do?I'll have to read the rest of the article to find out their answers. My answer to the last question is an unequivocal yes.
You can read the article by clicking on this heading of this post.
* The big event will be Sunday, May 4 starting at 10 a.m. at Columbus Circle (SW entrance of Central Park). Details in the next few entries.

No comments:
Post a Comment