What's All This Then?

Greetings!

This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).

It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....

You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."

(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Back on the Mat

Cross training today. Katie's back, and not a moment too soon. I haven't been to her Pilates class for a couple of months now and I've really missed it. My middle certainly shows signs of neglect and abuse. I've tried some of the other instructors, but they're lame. Katie leads a killer class because she knows her stuff and gives great guidance. It makes all the difference. She's really good at motivating me to find muscles I've long since buried in a layer of blubber. I'm sure I'm going to be feeling all of those core muscles tomorrow. Pilates may seem like cheating, but I'm told it's good for core stability and strength. I'll buy it.

The team's weekend practice was a race in the park. I skipped it. Beginners ran 4 miles, but I'm glad I got a little extra mileage in yesterday. I want to do at least a 10K race before San Diego so that I have a race experience. I'm sure I'll have an opportunity since we're heading into that the season: charity run of the week.

Frankly, I object to the New York Road Runners Club. It monopolizes the park with races almost every weekend for half the year and charges for the privilege of using the park. Most of the entrance fee is for charity, but they charge extra for non NYRR members. Add to that the fact that TNT's access to the park has been limited to a certain number of people and a certain number of permits. Why should the NYRR have the run of the place? We all pay taxes. I'm more than happy to give to charities, but the NYRR isn't one. I don't need to pay a surcharge to NYRR. Is that so wrong?

No comments: