I loved New York tonight. I ran by the Hudson and got pretty blissed out watching the waves and the lights in all of those new high rises across the river in Jersey. The temperature was fairly mild, but blustery, and I knew I was taking a chance on getting soaked because it had been raining practically all day, quite hard at times. I didn't care. Nothing was getting in my way.
I ran across town to the Hudson Park path and up to Chelsea Piers. The wind was fairly intense and I was running into it for a good chunk of the time. No matter. I just loved being near the water. Heavy rain over the last few days brought up the water level, and the wind created great waves and sprays of water. Had the river not looked like a bucket of water after you've scrubbed the floor, it would have been beautiful.
I ran the farthest I've run yet--5.5 miles and it went quite well. I have no idea how long it took, though. I forgot to look at my watch before I left. I felt as if I was moving slower than usual, and that's saying a lot. Each time I became aware of it, I picked it up for a little while. I have to start thinking about pacing. Mostly I was concentrating on my feet rolling rather than hitting the ground flat footed and staying there too long. I'm no bunny, but I was conscious of trying to do a little more of a hop.
I got up too late for a 5-mile run this morning, so I had to do it later in the day than I would have liked. At first I thought it would be creepy running at night over there, but it was great. I only felt scared out of my wits once and that was because a critter ran in front of me. I love New York.
On another positive note, I finally got my bones on the beam to send out fundraising emails to various constituents, as it were. It's been a little bit of work sorting everything out. I'm casting a wide net, including going back to almost everyone who has ever donated since I joined TNT in 2004. I'll be drawing on my three previous teams, too. I can't count on corporate matches, but it sure would be nice to bring in some easy money. I'm going to have to beat the drum on that one.
Tomorrow I'm going to work on Operation Sherlock. I want to nail down more of the details so that we can send out Evites--or maybe a Save the Date. The trick is getting a block of people to pay upfront so that we know we'll have a showing. If 100 people participate, I'd be happy. More would be merrier of course. Today I ran more miles than ever and I feel merrier indeed.
Today: 5.5
Miles to date: 39
What's All This Then?
Greetings!
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
Saturday, March 8, 2008
Take Me to the River
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment