What's All This Then?

Greetings!

This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).

It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....

You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."

(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Connection to the Cause

This morning was the Society's Connection to the Cause for the summer season. My mentor Megan came, which was cool. My first mentor, Mason from the Memphis days, was there, too and it was good to have an old friend in the audience.

I'm always blown away by the number of people who take on the challenge of a tri, century ride or marathon and the fundraising. It's a huge commitment. I'm touched and grateful.

I was a featured speaker, but I'm not sure how inspiring or affecting I was. I was sort of talking to myself, and that would have been fine except that 100 people or so were sitting there listening. I was trying to explain how it's easy to lose track of what we're doing and why we're doing it. It starts to become abstract, even for me, and I'm as directly connected to the Society's mission as you can be.

It's been almost 5 years since I had the last radiation treatment. That's an important milestone in the world of cancer. I can say "remission" now and believe it. I was trying to make another point how I see things, right or wrong. Cancer was a one-shot deal--I hope. Lymphedema is not. I wanted to make that point, but I'm sure I didn't. I got sort of lost. I got off on a riff about how you handle the cards you're dealt, and then I spoke about Alison and how inspired I am by her. It wasn't my best public speaking effort.

Lymphedema has been a fact of life my whole life, but I have not mentioned it at TNT events. I didn't see any reason to. Running seems to have unleashed a whole lot of crud. Humor is the easiest way for me to connect with people, but I wasn't feeling funny this morning. In fact, speaking about lymphedema is about as un-funny as it gets. As I think about it, I realize I didn't explain what lymphedema is, how it manifests and how it affects my training. I'm sure they had no idea what I was talking about. I was vague and probably sounded incoherent. Can I have a do-over?

No comments: