I must add to some observations I made in previous postings. First of all, my cap may in fact make a difference in the way people respond. Today I wore my Leukemia & Lymphoma Society cap instead of Hillary, and two people (not runners) smiled at me and one guy smiled and talked to me as I ran back and forth in the crosswalk for 45 seconds at a red light. Back home, I took Dools out for a tinkle, and a gal walking her dog saw my cap and told me she was a Team in Training alum (NYC tri). I told her I had done that one and I was training for a marathon. She shook her head. "I could never do that," she said. "I know what you mean because I said the same thing.But you can. Believe me, if I can train to do this, anyone can." I firmly believe that and I tell anyone who will listen.
More signage from the universe: Someone nailed to a lamppost a piece of wood spray painted in swirling pastels and the word "THINK" in black stenciled capital letters. Okay. I can do that. I also saw a bumpersticker that said "Got tiki?" Now that made me think. Tiki tiki is my CWA's arm-churning technique for mastering hills. But that's two tikis, sometimes three. What the hell is "tiki" and where do you get it?
It was a pleasant enough run once I got out of the house and through the first mile. I charted a course to the Hudson River because I have managed to memorize a few points of reference for pacing. Somehow I can remember that University Place is a half mile from my apartment and 14th Street at the river is 2 miles more or less. What I didn't factor into my run today was the maddeningly long lights at the main avenues--Fifth, Sixth, Seventh Avenue South and Hudson. I timed them at 45 seconds, which is a long time in runner's world. I ducked into a remarkably clean bathroom in the park because I didn't think I'd make it home. That was a first and possibly a last. It took me 1:50 seconds. As a result of running in traffic, as it were, I don't really know if I stayed in my average pace range. I need to note the exact time I spend waiting for lights and other interruptions so that I can compute my overall time properly.
Tomorrow we're doing our longest group run. The schedule says 7 to 9 miles. I'd like to run 9, which would be my longest, but they may have the beginners do just 7. I have to trust the pros to help me train smart. I'd rather do the longest possible run because once I'm cranked up, I can just keep going--or I feel as if I can. I'll probably be better off in the long run if I follow their advice.
Note to self: Don't eat any more chocolate-covered espresso beans. You'll be sorry in the morning.
Today: 4.2
Miles to date: 86
What's All This Then?
Greetings!
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
Friday, March 28, 2008
Got tiki?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment