What's All This Then?

Greetings!

This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).

It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....

You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."

(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Fundraising 2.0

Okay. Now I mean business. Where the hell is everybody? Have I worn out my most loyal supporters? That's the only conclusion I can reach. This is the fourth time I have raised money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and, predictably, it has gotten harder each time. I've asked some new people, but I can't not ask the usual suspects.

I'm nervous. I have to raise at least $5000 to meet my commitment to the L&LS so that I can run in San Diego and go to Anchorage to run with Alison. This time I really don't know if I'll get there without making a substantial contribution to cover the shortfall, as I did last time. Frankly, I can't do that again.

I know this isn't personal, but it feels that way. After all, I'm doing it to celebrate five years of health. It's for a great cause. It stings that I haven't heard from folks and it's extremely awkward to go back to people several times to remind them. I know. I know. Everyone has their own pet causes, some just forget, others mean to donate and just don't get around to it. There are all sorts of reasons, but if I don't follow up, I may pass up a contributor who just needed a nudge. There's a fine line between appealing and begging. As we discovered years ago in a different context, desperation is not attractive.

Here are my choices:
1. Send out a mass email update about my training and fundraising progress and gently remind.
2. Send out targeted emails with updates and be a little less gentle.
3. Send letters to same crowd.
4. Call various former donors.
5. 1,3 and 4 or 2, 3 and 4

One thing is for sure. I won't be doing this again. I'll have to remind my potential donors that this will be the last time. Honest and for true.

Update: One of my pals came through in a big way. I'm feeling better about my chances.

No comments: