Gentle reader: This is a particularly dull, all-business report. Feel free to skip it.
I ran 9.10 miles today and I lived to tell about it. Unfortunately, I did everything wrong in preparation. My energy level was zero point zero. The coach spoke of good days and bad days. This would qualify as the later. I don't know what I had for dinner last night. Not the right stuff, whatever the hell it was. Maybe a salad with craisins and walnuts? All I remember are the chocolate covered espresso beans, of which there were too many. I stayed up too late and got five hours of sleep. And, to finish myself off, I ate nothing for breakfast. My stomach was a little upset from the espresso beans and I just didn't have an appetite. I sucked down a double latte Power Gel (with 2x caffeine!) before the run and it barely made a dent.
I stopped briefly twice to try to revive my feet, both of which were sleeping like logs. All of that said, I was only 12 seconds off of my long run average pace as calculated per the CWA's formula using an abacus, slide rule, the fingers on both hands and a calculator. If my math is right, and it's entirely possible that it isn't, I would finish a marathon in a little under six hours. I have to believe I won't be in such rotten condition on race day. We have about 7 weeks before we start to taper. That's a scary thought. Too late to cancel San Diego and switch to Alaska.
That brings me to the ugly task at hand: fundraising. I am going to crank it up several notches tomorrow when I see the whole mispocheh. I need to shake at least $700 loose or I'm doomed. Alaska is looking like a very remote possibility at the moment, but I'm trying to remain hopeful. My original goal to raise $10,000 is a (crack) pipe dream. I may scrape by and get to Anchorage, but there's little chance I'll make that other goal unless Operation Sherlock is a wild success and someone with deep pockets writes a fat check. Like I said: pipe dream.
Today: 8.5
Miles to date: 94.5
What's All This Then?
Greetings!
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
Saturday, March 29, 2008
Saturday in the Park
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment