What's All This Then?

Greetings!

This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).

It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....

You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."

(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)

Monday, March 31, 2008

Rainy Days and Mondays

You know it's bad when Karen and Richard Carpenter become the soundtrack to your day. It's a rainy day, it's Monday and while they don't always get me down, it did this time.

I put off running till the evening. We know from bitter experience that that's not a good thing. My legs were very swollen, and to compound my discomfort, I argued with myself from one end of the Williamsburg Bridge to the other about the wisdom of doing a marathon at all. Maddeningly, I lost the argument.

I really don't know if this is such a good idea. This isn't just a mood talking. I have to be realistic about what my legs can handle. Or am I selling myself short? A marathon is a test of physical limits. Am I any different? I expect to be miserable at times on race day as will other runners for many different reasons. Is this about physical limits or mental limits or both?

I can't tell if brute force and determination will get me through this. So far I've convinced myself that if I decide to do it, then I will do it. I will find a way and, in doing so, maybe I will also find a new way to feel about my legs. That's all well and good in the abstract, but there's still the physical reality to contend with. It cannot be denied.

I was running along thinking about my wardrobe malfunction in Lake Tahoe. My legs were so swollen after 100 miles on my bike that I struggled to pull my pants above my knees. I couldn't shove my feet into my shoes. I couldn't leave my hotel room because I didn't have anything else to wear. I have to admit it felt pretty bad. I took to the tub for a soak and just kept my legs up for as long as I could. I practically missed the victory dinner, but I didn't have a choice. I couldn't go bottomless and barefoot. Note to self: Pack thongs and realistic post-race clothing.

When I've run in the morning, I've been pleasantly surprised that my legs have held up well. There is hope. I haven't been encumbered by what I call washer woman knees, which is when no knees are discernable. Then again the longest run I've done thus far was 2 hours. I'll probably be nearly tripling that on race day. I imagine my legs feeling the way they do now, as I write this, and I just want to scream. I'm frustrated by a lot of things and I'm feeling it all through my legs. What else accounts for this mood? Well, eating a lot of crap on Sunday tends to make me feel like crap on Monday. No surprises there.

Rain, Monday and blueness aside, I pumped out five miles and passed another important milestone. I have now run more than 100 miles.

CORRECTION: I went back to the maps to make sure I was calculating the miles properly and I subtracted .6 just to be on the safe side. 8.5 is my longest run to date, but I didn't quite break a 100 miles.

Today: 5.1
Miles to date: 99.6

No comments: