...and one proud and semi-nervous wreck. I awoke disoriented. Perhaps not so unusual for me. Was it Thursday or Friday? I wasn't sure. At this point, the difference was critical, not just because I'm flying out tomorrow and would need to get my bones on the beam to get myself together.
I made some critical food mistakes yesterday. I ate a huge slice of pizza and hefty chunk of ciabatta about 45 minutes before practice. What was I thinking? I got caught up at Artichoke, where I stopped for just a slice, and also got a stuffed artichoke, which I had never seen there. I chatted with the guy at the counter about my disappointment that the New York Times had written about the place, thus making it even more difficult to extract a slice from this tiny storefront.
The first several times I had gone there, I left in disgust after 20 minutes. How could it possibly take more than 20 minutes to produce a slice of pizza when that's all they do? One day after a practice, I managed to stay in line as long as it took to buy a slice. I had to know what was so fab about this pizza that people would wait a half an hour for the privilege. I passed the time by discussing the absurdity of doing so, particularly when there's a perfectly delicious alternative around the corner. Sometimes we don't do rational things. A marathon might be considered such a choice.
Rational or not, here we are, ready to celebrate having run 300 miles and written 100 posts. It's hard to imagine this chronicle standing the test of time because it has been plagued by windy passages and drivel. There has been some insight along the edges, but not really enough to carry the day. Still, I don't regret having tried to capture my first marathon. I just wish I was a better observer and writer. I did try. Maybe that's good enough.
What's All This Then?
Greetings!
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
Thursday, May 29, 2008
300 Miles, 100 Posts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment