I started the day happily enough with a super tasty fruit smoothie. Lunch was an equally tasty bowl o' pasta with grape tomatoes, mozzarella and garlic. Is there a better way to replenish your energy after a little run than cold sesame noodles followed by strawberry rhubarb? I don't think so. I tucked some tomatoes dipped in veggie chopped liver into the day and had a chocolate power gel, too. I've been washing it all down with plenty o' water. Ridiculous amounts of water, it seems. I didn't have any greens today and I was thinking about more fruit, but somehow lost track of it. Basically, I think I've got the nutrition thing under control.
It's now all marathon, all the time. The emotional weather was stormy as hell today. My focus strayed mightily, and it wasn't until I was out there running that I got a grip. I needed a pounding and I got it. I'm going to stay focused on the nitty gritty. I tried a pair of thinner socks and I don't think it made a difference. At about 47 minutes, I stopped for 20 seconds to try to get feeling back in my right foot. It wasn't quite enough time. Saving 10 seconds here and there isn't going to make a difference. Who am I kidding? The left orthotic still isn't quite right. The pimped insole may be a better bet. I'm going to call Connors tomorrow and pick his brain.
I need to dig into the coach's note about how to approach the race. I read it a couple of times, but I think I need to break it down and think through some of it more carefully. I'm alternately thrilled (San Diego here I come!) and terrified (Yikes!). I'm suddenly confident for no apparent reason (Yes she can!) then doubtful (What the hell was I thinking?) It was that kind of day. I need to stand by myself now. Steady as she goes. I'll solidify my race plan over the next couple of days. There aren't that many days left!
A box arrived today. I gave myself a pre-race gift: an ironman watch that shows splits. Mas vale tarde que nunca, no? It's not going to make a difference on Sunday, but it will be handy for future training (choke!). I decided to order it last week in part because I was feeling sanguine about my prospects as a runner. I'm planning a future as a runner. Good grief!
So what's for breakfast tomorrow? I'm guessing pasta, but that's just wild speculation.
Today: 4.4
Miles to date: 296.8
What's All This Then?
Greetings!
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
What I Had for Breakfast
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment