I've been having long, debriefing conversations with my oldest sister Alison (aka Snau, Saucy) about all things running: chafing, hydrating, crying and everything else that comes with this terra incognita. Can you believe we're talking about this, she asked on Sunday after she had logged 18 miles? Could you ever have imagined it? Nope. I couldn't. We are as unlikely a pair of runners as any two athletes. Neither of us has what can be called a runner's body. Neither of us ever ran. Somehow we're doing it anyway. So talk turns to strategies for ice baths (she suggested wearing shorts) and chafing. Fortunately, that hasn't been an issue for either of us, but I'm not taking anything for granted. My wise tri coach George once said, "If you love it, lube it." Amen brother. I know from my cycling days that a little chafing can harsh your mellow in a heartbeat.
Hydrating has been a mixed bag. Alison doesn't sweat and spends a lot of time peeing. I'm the opposite. She loves salt. I have a hard time imagining choking down a salt packet, but I will probably have to do it. She hasn't practiced with a fuel belt because she hasn't had to. The Atlanta chapter actually sets up water stations at each practice. They have bagels or bananas or other stuff, too. Now I realize it's a smaller team, but if they can get it together down there, surely we can do better up here. Bugs lent me his fuel belt, which has been handy, but I think it might exacerabate back problems. I wouldn't use it on race day in any case because I get too darn hot.
As for emotions, well there's plenty to discuss in that department. Our paths diverge a bit here, too. Alison says she's been overcome with emotion on the long runs and came to tears this weekend, too. She said sometimes the day after she's all farklempt (my word choice, not hers).
I have found running to be emotional, too, but I'm not emotional while I'm on the road. Not yet anyway. My loins are girded for the strong possibility that I'll dissolve at the finish line, but I have lots of deal with before I get there. This is tapping something deep in both of us. We're two stubborn and determined gals (cf Bill and Steve's wild and crazy guys). She's a porketarian, I'm a vegetarian. Somehow it works. I think she's going to be better prepared for her marathon than I will be for mine. I'm proud of what we have accomplished thus far. I have no doubt that we'll do what we set out to do and earn all the tears we'll shed.
I had a great run today. I didn't allow myself the privilege of running outside in gorgeous weather. I hadn't earned it, so I took to Ye Olde Treadmill. It wasn't as much of a punishment as I expected. It has only taken me 250 miles, but I think I have broken through a certain barrier with that dreaded machine. To add to the mix, I wore shorts as an experiment in exposure. My legs were no worse for it, I don't think. I can't say I enjoyed watching myself or watching other people watch me, either. Feh. It wasn't a big deal.
On a practical level, the gym seemed like an easier place to deal with an orthotic switcheroo, should the need arise. I didn't feel like carrying insoles with me across the Williamsburg Bridge, for crying outloud. I ran 6 miles in 58 minutes exactly. I felt terrific. No biggee. Now that's bizarre. I may have crossed over to the other side. This is starting to get very exciting.
Today: 6 miles
Miles to date: 279.15
What's All This Then?
Greetings!
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
Monday, May 19, 2008
Kicking It With Snau
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment