Oliver Sacks calls music that gets stuck in your head brain worms. We know the concept well.* I'm appropriating the term to refer to ideas about the race that have invaded my head, some of my own devising, some from conversations with Alison, my coaches and teammates and stuff I've read along the way. Some of it's helpful, some not so much. It's time to dig deeper and get choosy about which worms stay and which worms go.
I went to a used bookstore in search of a couple of novels for the plane ride. They didn't have what I was looking for, but on the $2 trolleys outside the store I saw "Marathoning for Mortals." That's John "the Penguin" Bingham's book written with his wife, who is a Team in Training coach. I couldn't ignore the universe's hint, so I bought it. Glad I did. It's so down to earth and helpful. It's particularly reassuring for us "adult onset athletes." I burst out laughing a number of times on the ride to our last group practice tonight. It really took the edge off.
I got home later than expected, so I'm going to pick up this thread tomorrow. In the next post, I'll also trumpet my latest milestone: 300 miles logged this season. I'm astounded.
Today: 3.2
Miles to date: 300
* Gentle reader: If a ghastly song like "Seasons in the Sun" won't leave your head while you're on a run, think of any song by the Monkees. "I'm a Believer" works like a charm. "Last Train to Clarksville" and "Daydream Believer" work, too. The Monkees have the unique ability to change the channel. I don't know why, but it frees your brain to move on to something else. Davey Jones juju?
What's All This Then?
Greetings!
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Brain Worms
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment