What's All This Then?

Greetings!

This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).

It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....

You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."

(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Fewer Days Than Miles

At my last glance at a monthly calendar, I realized that I have fewer training days left than miles to run on June 1. I was contemplating this as I ran around the reservoir yesterday after my appointment. It was a glorious day for everything the park has to offer and the tourists were out in force. I never realized how many of them walk around the reservoir. It's a great way to feel the City around you.

The heat was sort of intense and I started to feel woozy after just one lap. I have to get out earlier in the day. I waited so long for the doctor that it was much later in the day by the time I got out on the road. I could certainly sneak up there in the early morning, I reckon.

Tonight's group run was around the reservoir, too. I had a good trot around, part of it with Sophia, and only stopped once briefly. I had dinner with Meghan, Christy and some of their mentees afterward. It was a fun little group. I'm struck by something my teammate Adam wrote to me. He said he has been on a runner's high since he finished the 1/2 on Saturday. Why didn't I feel that high? I think I am unfairly discounting the achievement. Typical.

Yesterday: 1.5
Today: 4.5 miles
Miles to date: 217.3

No comments: