What's All This Then?

Greetings!

This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).

It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....

You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."

(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Like a Duck, Only Slower

Tonight I saw a documentary called "Run for Your Life" about Fred Lebow, the guy who started the New York marathon and popularized the New York Road Runners club. What a canny character. His success was based on charm, a certain ruthlessness and savvy about how to bring people on board with his vision. Fake it till you make it. Give 'em something--a hat, a t-shirt--and they'll be on your team. Literally. He made big promises, too. The folks who knew him clearly felt great affection and admiration for him, but it wasn't all a lovefest. There was a little edge. They made it clear that he was a little bit of a wheeler-dealer and not completely understood by his cohort. Lebow did his own thing and got other people to do it with and for him. He understood something about people and what motivates us to take on new challenges like a marathon. He understood because of his own restlessness and need for new territory, new dreams. Dreams beget dreams, he said.

What struck me as sort of odd about the film was the dearth of footage of Fred talking on camera. For someone who was so voluble and larger than life by all accounts, it was strange that there wasn't more of him talking. Instead we got lots of still photos of him looking ponderous, great 70s fonts, and music out of left field. The City looked wild.

A friend described Fred, who completed 69 marathons in his lifetime, as running like a duck, only slower. I should only waddle as quickly.

No comments: