I woke up at 5:30 and the first thing I thought was, I'll be at the race site waiting to get started at this time next week. (Note to self: Don't forget to breathe.) As I write this at the end of the day, I'm trying to imagine what it will feel like when I have finished the marathon. How indeed. I was high for weeks after Memphis. I didn't anticipate that at all, but then, I had absolutely no idea what I was getting myself into.
After class, I told my pilates teacher to think good thoughts. Next week, while they're doing the "100," I will be sailing toward the finish line. One of my classmates overheard me say I was doing the run as a fundraiser for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. She told me about a friend who just had a bone marrow transplant after her Hodgkin's reoccurred after some years of remission--more than five, she thought. That was a sobering thought. Recurrence is always possible, but the risks decrease over time. At least that's what I have been told. I'll keep her in mind while I run.
Lots to think about over the next couple of days. Alison and I talked about the head game. At this point, it's the only game that matters--other than eating well, getting rest and not doing anything "stupido," as Ramon said. I'm visualizing everything going right, from head to toe. Right now, I need to get a handle on the excitement and go to sleep.
Apropos of nothing: bumper stickers that said " Don't make me go voodoo on your ass" and "Reality is for people who lack imagination." I saw a flyer for a band called Chaos Sex Machina. Don't we know it! Clever, but it doesn't unseat Jiggle the Handle, the reigning favorite.
What's All This Then?
Greetings!
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
Sunday, May 25, 2008
This Time Next Week
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment