A so-so night of running. I was a bit out of sorts. I don't know if it was the snack I had a couple of hours before the run or my malaise. It was one of those "empty void" kind of nights. I was just going through the motions. On my second lap around the reservoir, I sort of lost the thread. I don't know where I was for the next two miles, but suddenly I looked up across the water and saw the buildings ringing the park enveloped in a fiery light. It was only the reflection of the setting sun--about as quotidian as it gets--but it was dramatic and somehow fantastic. It sort of jolted me awake.
At one point, I noticed a couple of ducks chilling under a tree about a foot from the running path. I thought it was sort of odd, but then, they must think it's weird that all of these nutjobs are running around in circles when they could be resting under a tree, too. This weekend, I'm going to make it my business to get up there to enjoy the park and reservoir in different lights.
The right orthotic started rubbing me the wrong way, as it were, and I was on the cusp of a blister when I stopped. It might just be a matter of placement or perhaps it was the socks. I didn't wear the left orthotic on the run.
After the run, one of my teammates asked me about century rides. I encouraged him to do it, especially Tahoe, which was gorgeous. I told him I recommend cycling because you get to sit down. 'nuff said. Time to end the day.
Today: 4.5
Miles to date: 283.65
What's All This Then?
Greetings!
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Running on Empty
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment