What's All This Then?

Greetings!

This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).

It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....

You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."

(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)

Friday, May 30, 2008

Bound for Glory

This is it. I'm flying to San Diego today. My stomach bounces continuously at this point. The only thing I know is that I don't know what's going to happen out there and I'm planning for every contingency. My race plan includes 1-minute walks through every water stations, stops to regain feeling in my feet once every 40 minutes for 30 seconds or so with the possibility of doing it every 30 minutes. I will follow the oft-repeated advice to hold back early on even if it means letting a lot of people whiz by. I have to remember that they will whiz by whether I go out too fast or not,and there's no point in burning out. I want to have some fuel in my tank at miles 16-20 so that the last part, the 6.2, feels like a relatively enjoyable loop around Central Park.

The strategy includes adjusting to the conditions rather than getting stuck by refusing to acknowledge what's actually happening. In other words, I'm trying to get my mind around the idea that the only thing I can control is how I deal with the situation at hand--and I won't know what that will be until I get there. Even then, it's changing mile by mile. The only rock solid assumption I'm making is that I will do everything in my power to finish with a smile on my face. I can't say I'm really open to the idea that I might not finish, but the thought has occurred to me. As Deena Kastor said in "Spirit of the Marathon," in the span of 26 miles a lot can happen.

Just for kicks, I watched the trailer for the movie again just now, and I had the same reaction I had the first time I saw it and every time since. I burst into tears.

I took a valedictory 25 minute run today. Just a few miles, down to visit my old friend the Williamsburg bridge and a quick weave through the Lower East Side. I needed to get my ya-yas out before I get on the plane.

Excelsior!

Today: 2.2
Miles to date: 302.2

No comments: