It has been a rough few days. I'm hellbent on getting my feet to cooperate with the task I've set for myself. There are other parts that need to comply, but I'm working on a triage model of pain management: feet first. Cooperation is critical, and right now it's not happening at a high enough level. So I have overcome my distaste for spending yet more money on yet more doctors and made appointments. On Thursday, I'll be seeing a sports podiatrist recommended by one of the coaches who is also a physical therapist. In the meantime, I saw someone today who was recommended by a chiropractor I know. I figured I can cancel the second appointment, depending on what happened at the first.
I believe this pain stems, in part, from scars developed during my days battling the plantar's wart that plagued me for 4 years until bleomycin and lasers finally slew the beast. My Pyrrhic victory over that wart, which came to be known as Verucca Sweetheart, has become all too clear in the 16 years that have passed since I thought I won.
After waiting an insanely long time and threatening to leave, the doctor appeared. I should have walked out immediately because the signs weren't good. He was wearing a suit. Why? He didn't have to wear a white coat, but most doctors don't strut around in suits. More troubling, he barely touched my feet. It was only after he decided to scrape my callouses a bit that he put his hands on my feet. He tried several times to end the consultation before I finished asking questions. Then he prescribed a cream that's supposed to help break up scar tissue and callouses, and told me to come back and see him about orthotics ($500!) after the marathon. He said insurance generally doesn't cover it, and it would be my fight to get coverage. Why did I stay? I have to learn to trust my instincts. I filled the prescription because it's the only game in town right now. I've got to try everything.
As I told my friend Bugs, doctors are not a hobby. I don't want to spend any more time or money on what seems to be a sinkhole of disappointment. Can I stand to spend another $40 to get a second opinion?
Out of pocket: $75
Relief: nil
What's All This Then?
Greetings!
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).
It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....
You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."
(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Verucca Sweetheart
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment