What's All This Then?

Greetings!

This blog has run its course, as it were. Actually three courses, but don't let that stop you from reading. Here's the skinny: I dedicated most of 2008 to running and fundraising for cancer research. On June 1, I ran the San Diego Rock n' Rock marathon. On June 21 I ran a half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of these feats were tackled with the coaching and support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, for which I raised $5,725. The final challenge was the New York City marathon on Nov. 2. This time I trained with "Fred's team" on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center where I was treated successfully for Hodgkins lymphoma five years ago. I raised another $3240 (maybe more).

It was a banner year in many ways. I celebrated 5 years of health. I raised a lot of money. I earned a Team in Training triple crown for completing a triathlon, century bike ride and marathon. I was featured on a show about three first time runners in the NYC marathon, aired on NBC in New York. And ....

You can read all about my journey in sneakers below. And remember:
"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single shlep."

(For the back story, check out the Sept. 29th entry.)

Sunday, May 18, 2008

While You Were Sleeping

Drats! I slept through the first Veggie Pride Parade. Apparently people dressed up as their favorite vegetables and took to the streets of the West Village today. I heard someone on the radio who attended the event rhapsodizing about vegetarian chopped liver. Coincidentally I just bought some Vidalia onions and was planning on whipping up a batch of the stuff tonight.

The day passed without incident, mostly because I slept through most of it. I guess I was tired after running TWENTY MILES. Go figure. I was tired, but I felt great. I woke up early and arrived at the farmer's market just as they were getting set up in search of my favorite muffins and scones . The goodies I dreamed about were all sold out at yesterday's market, but I salvaged the trip by picking up my first bunch of rhubarb. Oh, how I love rhubarb. I can't wait to get some strawberries and cook it up. Tomorrow will be the official launch of my seasonal mono meal streak starting with a big bowl of strawberry rhubarb for dinner. I'm not sure what effect this predilection for imbalance will have on my running and my often uncooperative GI system. I'm willing to experiment a little bit while I still have a couple of weeks before The Big One (TBO).

I made it to my favorite pilates class and did what I could with an aching back. I'm usually fairly limber, but I guess I didn't stretch enough yesterday because I couldn't bend over and reach my toes. When I got home, I thought I'd hang out and read the paper for a while before I got down to other business. I was toying with the idea of going over to Pier 40 for a maiden voyage in a kayak. I don't remember even reading a headline. If the phone hadn't rung at 4:30, I might have slept through the entire afternoon.

For the last few months, I haven't been drinking coffee every morning, despite my love of the stuff. I've trained myself to function--such as I do--without it. Today, however, there would be no hunkering down and doing anything on my "to do" list without a little chemical lift. This week's list consists of several items I have set my sights on doing before TBO. I want to come back from San Diego with a clean slate. I may have to whittle the list down a bit. I think 13 days should be enough time if I'm disciplined. That's A Big If. [ABI;)]

Not on my "to do" list: Taking off a big chunk of the tip of my thumb and nail while chopping onions for kasha varnishkes and vegetarian chopped liver. I got so carried away listening to music that I ended up wounding myself. Maybe I didn't need that coffee after all.

Note to self: Don't listen to music that inspires you to dance when you're wielding a sharp object.

No comments: